AI is an interdisciplinary field and each field being contributed to its progress which including philosophy, mathematics, economics, neuroscience, psychology, computer engineering, control theory, linguistics, and etc.
Philosophy: The first AI contributer formulated AI with consider mind as a machine
Mathematics: Provided tools to formalize and manipulate logic, algorithm, theory of probability
Economic: Formal theory of rational decisions to maximize what they call payoff or utility
Neuroscience: Addressing how brains functions
Psychology: Care how human think and act
Computer engineering: Build powerful machines to make AI possible
Control theory: Design simple agents to receive feedback from environment
Linguistics: Care how human languages and thinking related
Four school of thoughts:
- Thinking Humanity: Mimid human way of thinking
- Acting Humanity: Example, Chatbot / Airplane who mimid birds flying with aerodynamics principle.
- Thinking rationally: Law of thoughts
- Acting rationally: Acts to achieve best outcome giving available information
Application of AI:
- Speech recognition (eg: Siri from Apple, Google Now, Echo from Amazon)
Get things done such as sending email, finding a restaurant, tell you the weather. It leverages deep neural networks to handle natural language understanding as speech recognition.
- Hand writing recognition,
Use machine to automatically recognize the digits on a check in ATM machines, and recognizing zip codes and amounts of dollars on the check.
- Machine translation (eg: Google Translate)
- Robotics (eg: Robotics surgery, navigation)
- Recommendation systems (eg: Netflix recommendation systems, Amazon recommendation system)
Leverage collaborative filtering and to look into the history of user purchase and the history of others to make recommendations
- Email spam filter (leverage some techniques which able to classify your text or email as a spam or non-spam.)
- Face detection
- When take photo, something being detected which are rectangles around the face by a developed method (Viola Johns Method)
- Face recognition -> Identify who is who
- Detection of cancer tumor
- Games (eg: chess games)
- In 1997, Gary Kasparov, the world champion of chess was defeated by Deep Blue the IBM machine that was able to use and leverage powerful search algorithms and computational power to win the game
- Lee Sedol, the world champion in “Go” was defeated by Google AplhaGo by leverage deep learning, reinforcement learning, and search algorithms to complete the search for the best moves.
- EDX Course: ColumbiaX: CSMM.101x Artificial Intelligence (AI)